If you need to replace your oven igniter, you’re in the right place. In this guide, we will give you detailed instructions on how to remove the old igniter and then install the new one.
The first thing you need to do before replacing your igniter is to purchase a replacement part. These can be found at all major hardware retailers and many online stores. Just make sure you double-check you’re purchasing the correct part, or you’ll need to return it.
Although every gas oven model is slightly different, these instructions should work for all major makes of gas models, including GE, Whirlpool, Amana, Samsung, Haier, Westinghouse, and SMEG.
Let’s get started.
Step 1 – Get prepared
The first step is to get prepared so the whole process of removing the old igniter and installing a new one will go smoothly. Here’s what you need to:
- Double-check you have the correct replacement part.
- Turn the power off to your oven by unplugging it or turning the circuit breaker off that supplies power to your oven.
- Turn the gas supply off.
- Open a few kitchen windows or doors so that your kitchen has lots of ventilation. This is because when replacing the igniter small amounts of gas will probably seep out which can be a health risk.
- Before working on your oven, make sure it has cooled down.
Step 2 – Remove the old igniter
Once you’ve gone through the preparation checklist, it’s now time to remove the old igniter from your oven. Here’s what you need to do:
- Take all the racks and any other trays out of your oven.
- Remove the bottom panel from your oven. This is required so you can access the igniter. To remove the panel, you need to unthread the screws that hold it in place, and then it should be able to be pulled out and placed out of the way.
- Next, locate the igniter. If you’re unable to access the igniter you may need to remove the internal part of your oven door. To find out if this applies to your specific make and model of oven consult your user manual.
- Once you have access to the igniter, unthread the screws that hold the igniter bracket in place. Once these screws have been removed, disconnect the wire harness that is connected to the igniter.
- You should now be able to disconnect the igniter unit and remove it from your oven.
Step 3 – Install the new igniter
The next step is to install the new igniter. Once you’ve removed the new igniter from the packaging and confirmed it’s the correct replacement part simply follow these instructions to install it.
- First, carefully connect the new igniter up to the wire harness that you removed from the old one. Make sure you don’t touch the carbide electrode when connecting the igniter as this can damage it if you have oil or other chemicals on your hands.
- Next, place the igniter into position, making sure the bracket is lined up with the screw holes. Once in place, thread the screws into place so the new igniter is securely connected to the oven unit.
- Next, re-attach the bottom panel into the oven in the same position that it was before and then secure it in place with the screws that you removed earlier.
- Once the bottom panel is in place, put the oven trays back into the oven.
Step 4 – Test the new igniter works
Now that the new igniter is hopefully installed correctly, the final step is to test that it works properly. Here’s how to test the igniter:
- Turn the power to the oven back on by plugging it back in or turning the circuit breaker back on.
- You can now turn the gas supply to the oven on.
- Finally, attempt to start your gas oven. If your oven now ignites the new igniter is working correctly.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.